Recent Posts

Monday, July 26, 2010

Peanut Butter Cups

IMG_6289

Peanut butter makes the world go round. It makes me happy. Especially in the mornings. on toast. Sometimes I like 'em crunchy. Sometimes I like 'em smooth. My condolences to all who are allergic to peanuts. and eggs. and dairy. and meat. Basically, all foods. ...except vegetables, like olives. and capsicum. and anchovies. and eggplant. I could go on. You don't have to tell me, I already know I'm fussy. Thank goodness for chocolate. Dark chocolate. Mmm...

Now add chocolate and peanut butter together. Oh, yeah. 

What do you get?

Adorable little Peanut Butter Cups.


But you see, American imports are not cheap in Australia. I remember craving Cap'n Crunch cereal for a few weeks straight a while back and searched all around town to get one. In the end, I gave up. I sacrificed my craving. $13 for a box of cereal is just not worth it. The same goes for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Not only is it pricey, it is ridiculously sweet.

So, what was I left to do?

Make my own. If only I knew how to make cereal.

Here's what you'll need.

IMG_6278
Icing sugar, smooth Peanut butter and chocolate. (I always prefer dark.)

Oh, and some butter.

IMG_6306
Mix the 3/4 cup Peanut butter with sugar and butter. Easy.

IMG_6290
Lay out miniature brown paper cups on the table. The smaller, the better. Mini = cute.

IMG_6283
Melt your chocolate buttons in the microwave until it is smooth and silky...

like this
IMG_6294
Now take a teaspoon of chocolate and spoon it into your paper cups.

IMG_6302
Spoon the sides well.

IMG_6315
Once the chocolate has hardened, pipe the peanut butter filling into the cups. If you don't have a piping bag, you can spoon it in. But piping makes life easier. We'd all prefer an easy life. 

IMG_6322
Then finish by coating the top with more chocolate. 

Ta da!

Peanut Butter Cups
Makes approximately 30 - 36 cups

Ingredients
375g Nestle Chocolate Melts (milk or dark)
¾ cups Krafts smooth Peanut Butter
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup icing sugar, sifted.

Method
1. Melt half the chocolate in the microwave until smooth and silky. You can also do this in a saucepan over boiling water but using the microwave is quicker and easier.

2. Use a small spoon or small paintbrush to coat insides of the paper cups with the melted chocolate, making sure to cover the bottom and sides well. Allow to cool. If it's still not set within 10 minutes, transfer them to the freezer until it hardens. You can use mini muffin pans to stop them from sliding around.

3. Combine peanut butter, butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer. Mix on low - medium speed for about 2 minutes or until combined. Pipe peanut-butter filling into each cup until three-quarters full.

4. Spoon melted chocolate into each cup to cover. Again, you can let it set by itself or transfer it back to the freezer for a few minutes. These peanut butter cups are best eaten within 2 - 3 days. 

Enjoy. 

17 comments:

muslimah93 said...

Yayyyyyyyyyy!!! Ur new blogggg!!! =) Im alreadyy followinggg!! =D Mashallah looks niceee and even the blog name is nicee! Haha. =) Xoxoxo. =))

here and there said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Love and Sugar said...

Muslimahhhhh.
Sorry I didnt reply to your chat the other day. I wasnt at my computer! I've missed you :(
Glad you're my first follower. Woo hoo.

xx

My Getaway said...

Yum those look really good!!

brave chickens said...

Wanna hear something funny? I've never tried peanut butter. Haha. Or maybe it's just funny for me...?
Anywhoo, Congratulation for your new blog! :D They layout and everything is awesome :)

Love and Sugar said...

MyG: It is!!!! Just try it for yourself ;D

BC: Say what?! Never? What planet are you living in? :P You have to go to the supermarket now and grab yourself a jumbo peanut butter jar...yes, now! :D

ishqia said...

the recipe look delicious to me, inshallah should try it some day...

never tasted peanut butter till date.. u r gonna be my motivation for peanut butter whenever i try it.. lol :-)

Fatimah said...

I've never tried peanut butter before, but they look super tasty :D

Dada said...

Hello, sugar :) Is it possible to use Cadbury milk chocolates? I tried to melt the cooking chocolates in the microwave but it burnt :( Your peanut butter cups look professionally made :)

here and there said...

Dada: I've used all types of chocolate in the microwave and it seems to work. Depending on the quantity, I usually put them on high for a short while (around 30secs - 1 minute) and then I keep stirring the chocolates. If it's still not fully melted, I put it back again (not too long) and I take it out to stir. I don't leave them in to melt by itself because the bowl can get too hot and that's how the chocolate can burn. The tip is to keep stirring the chocolates. The heat from the bowl will be hot enough to melt it.

Hope this helps. :)
All the best.

Anonymous said...

hey its me your sister. I reckon your blog could be the next "Bakerella". Cool pics, funny statements and very nice layout! More recipes, spread the word and you're on the GO!

Shahirah Elaiza said...

Oooweee... this looks darn good!

zahra said...

salaam dear!

i have nothing but pure love for your new food blog *drools*! keep it up!

Sara سارة said...

Salaam,

Oh my gosh, those look so good! I wish I could have some right now, lol. I'm not a usual cook, but I do love to learn new things and will definitely try out some of your tasty recipes, Insha'Allah. =)

ishqia said...

i bought peanut butter.. and alhamdulillah liked it very much

oneordinaryday said...

Glad I saw you on tastespotting. Reese's cups are one of our faves and I'd love to try a homemade version. You make it sound so easy. : )

Carolyn said...

Peanut butter is DA BOMB! Sometimes when I start eating it, I have trouble stopping. These look fantastic, I've been meaning to try making my own. Soon!

Post a Comment

Share the love.