Recent Posts

Monday, August 16, 2010

Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing.

When you're fasting, you feel like eating everything. That was how I felt when I was browsing through recipes. Oh my. Oh I want this now. Yum yum yum! What?! Why don't I have the ingredients to make this? Ugh, too lazy to cook. I just want to eat it. Right now. Oh...I miss Malaysia.  

You're so hungry, you could eat a whole cow. Okay, maybe not.

Mmm...beef. Beef curry. Stir fry beef. Schizuan Beef. Mongolian Beef. Lasagne. Spaghetti Bolognese. I could go on...and on. and on.

Unfortunately, the reality is that some people don't even have food on the table when it's time to break fast.

We should consider ourselves blessed. Very blessed indeed.

Blessed to have this Carrot Cake on our table.


Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing

Don't like eating raw carrots? Give me five.


Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing

Do what I do. Make a carrot cake.


Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing


Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing.
Adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks.

Preparation time: 35 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour 15 minutes

You will need approximately 3 large carrots (540g) for this recipe. 
Ingredients
1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 1/3 cup (250g) firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
3 cups firmly packed, coarsely grated carrots
1 cup (120g) coarsely chopped walnuts
2 1/2 cups (375g) self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 teaspoons mixed spice

Method
1. Position oven shelves; preheat oven to moderate. Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan, line base and sides with baking paper. 

2. Beat oil, sugar and eggs in a small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. 

3. Transfer mixture to large bowl; using wooden spoon, stir in carrots and nuts then sifted dry ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

4. Bake cake in moderate oven about 1 1/4 hours. Stand cake for 5 minutes than turn onto wire rack to cool. Allow at least 2 hours for cake to cool. 

5. Spread cold cake with lemon cream cheese frosting. 

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
By Love and Sugar

Ingredients
50g butter, softened
160g cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted

Method
Beat butter and cream cheese in an electric mixer for about 1 minute. Gradually beat in icing sugar in batches then lemon juice and mix until light and fluffy. Spread immediately.


Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing

Top tips:
  • Cover cake loosely with foil during baking if it starts to overbrown.
  • Use a light blended vegetable oil, such as corn, safflower or canola.
  • Pecans can be substituted for walnuts.
  • Use commercially made cream cheese, such as full-fat Philadelphia.
Storage: 
  • Cake will keep up to 3 days if refridgerated in an airtight container. 
  • Frosted or unfrosted, the cake can be frozen for up to 3 months.

Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing


Curious about why I'm fasting? It's the month of Ramadan.
What's Ramadan? Watch this short 3 minute video...




Ramadan Mubarak! Happy Ramadan!

10 comments:

Susan said...

I found your blog on tastespotting, and I'm so glad I did, ma shaa allah everything looks great!! As I sit at my desk this morning wondering what to make for dinner, I'm wondering if my husband would mind breaking his fast with carrot cake, after his dates of course.

muslimah93 said...

Mashallah! That looks sooooo gooooooood!!! Fizzieee!! Shareeeeeeeee!! =P

Holy Crackers said...

i'm fasting and have to say. I LOVE YOUR SITE!!!

masha'Allah, I'm tempted to make that for one of our iftaars =)

Rakhshanda said...

wow tasty blog...just saw dear..love it...check out mine

Jaz said...

That looks absolutely delicious, I just wish I had looked at this while I'm fasting.. the temptation!!

Fatima said...

omg that looks delicious!!

Splendid said...

Wow! i must really only visit this blog after iftaar LOL Cuz before that, it's unbearable!!

Yummiessss the pics are scrumdelicious!

ZINAH said...

Mashallah, what a lovely blog :) I love your recipes they are wonderfully tasty! love the blog layout

feel free to check my blog: http://zinahns.blogspot.com

Ramadan Kareem

nida said...

Oh dear, this is the bestest blog ever. lol. I have a ginormous sweet tooth, and once I get all the ingredients, I so want to try your recepies (insha'Allah). All of them look sooooo good.

Keep them comming sister :)

Shamiya said...

I've been looking for the right carrot cake recipe for ages! and I've found the perfect one, the cake looks perfect, will definetely be trying this recipe out! how did you create the little decorations on top of the cake? they look so cute!

Post a Comment

Share the love.