Recent Posts

Sunday, October 17, 2010

A little bit Chinese.

Can I tell you a little secret?

I love being half Chinese.

Cause I'm crazy about deep fried dumplings. imitating funny asian accents. chopsticks. the colour red. Chinese New Year. cantonese. chinese food. dim sum. dim sims. yum cha. meat pau. kung fu movies. jackie chan. my dad. chinese calligraphy. chinese muslims. lanterns. nyonya food (found in Melacca, Malaysia), chinese tea. mock roast duck.

and I'm especially crazy about Moon Cakes.


Mooncake


and the boxes they come in.


Mooncake


I'm so keeping this one as a Jewellery box. 


Mooncake


It was Mid-Autumn Festival a couple weeks back...and my dad, being the world's most Awesome dad that he is, bought me this beautiful set especially for me. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for.


Mooncake


You can find them at your local Asian supermarket (although I doubt they are still selling them now, you might have to wait for next year!). But you must look for the ones with the Halal stamp on them...I wouldn't recommend getting a box without the stamp even if the ingredients look "safe". 


Mooncake


They come in so many flavours. The popular ones usually have egg yolks in them. Me being me, I always take it out - not quite a fan of the salty, yellow ball. The ones I tried were White Lotus, Jade Custard, Taro Pumpkin...and a few others. Too. darn. good. 

However, I must warn you, it is an acquired taste. 

You'll never know until you try.

(Sorry for the lack of posts, I been occupied with my final year assignments. InshaAllah, I will have a ton of new recipes when it's all over after November.)

4 comments:

brave chickens said...

Are mooncakes sweet or savoury or both?
The design on the top is cool. :)

Love and Sugar said...

It's sweet...but the salty egg yolk makes it savoury. But there are ones without egg yolk, so its all sweet...though not too sweet. I dont know how to describe it! You'll just have to try it. hehe

Suraya forSoulbeads said...

your blog is really nice..I like it..I'm not Chinese, but I like mooncakes.

aimie bahirah said...

ok,I've just spent my last 30 minutes drooling at these photos of fooooooood in your blog! ahhhh!

Post a Comment

Share the love.