Recent Posts

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cuppacheesecake.




Consider the following:

Do you believe that life is based on trust?

  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
My answer: Definitely yes.

If you answered yes, then I ask you to trust me on this.

If your answer was no or maybe,...how are you surviving in life?! Oh do tell me. I'm curious.

For the rest of you, I need you to take my word for it when I say that this Cuppacheesecake (Cupcake + Cheesecake = Cuppacheesecake) is absolutely DIVINE. 

It's petite. And it melts in your mouth! Need I say more?

It didn't turn out the way I wanted them to but once I took the first bite...everything else was forgotten. Like how it was supposed to have blueberries instead of blackberries. and swirls on the top. Oh well.

Here's what to do:



Crush digestive biscuits either in a food processor or use a rolling pin like I did. Release that anger in you.



Arrange 14 cupcake cases in two separate muffin trays.



After combing the crumbs, sugar and butter, place a tablespoon in the cases and use a stand alone case to press the bottom.

...

Sorry, I missed a couple of steps.

I was, um, probably eating chocolates.



Can you blame me?

I got a whole basket full of my favourite chocolates. 



Next time I'll show you the best way to eat 'em.

Okay...back to the cheesecake.

 They taste so much better than they look.



I think I'm in love...



with Mr Philadelphia.



It's really good.




Cuppacheesecake
originally a Martha Stewart recipe, adapted from 6bittersweets
Makes 14 cupcakes

Ingredients
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs or Digestive biscuits
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar

1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp sugar
or your favourite Jam.

450grams cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup PLUS 1 Tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature

Method
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line 2 cupcake pans with 14 paper liners (or use 1 pan plus 2 standalone wrappers).

To make crusts: in a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Stir together with a fork until well blended and all dry ingredients are moistened. Press 1 tablespoon of the mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner. (A small glass or another standalone baking cup work well.) Bake until just set, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Reduce oven temperature to 300F/150C.

To make the fruit puree: combine the blueberries and sugar in a regular or food processor or using a stick blender in a measuring cup. Process until smooth, and set aside. If using frozen berries, boil the puree in a small saucepan for about 5 minutes to evaporate some of the water; then cool and set aside.

To make the cheesecake: beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer just until smooth. Blend in the remaining sugar until well incorporated. Mix in the salt and vanilla. Finally, beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

To assemble 
Option 1:  Pour cheese mixture into cases until 3/4 full. Dot a 1/2 teaspoon of the berry puree in a few dots over the cheesecake filling. Use a toothpick or a skewer, chopstick, or thin knife to lightly swirl and create a marbled effect. 
Option 2: Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cheesecake batter over the crust in each cupcake liner. Add half a teaspoon of your favourite Jam in the middle and cover with a tablespoon of the cheesecake mixture until 3/4 full.

Bake until the filling is just set, about 20 to 30 minutes. (They will look puffed initially but will return to normal with time.) Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator and let chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

Important tips from Mr Philadelphia:

  • To soften PHILLY: allow to stand for 1 hour at room temperature or remove foil from a 250g pack, cube PHILLY, place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds.
  • For best results with baked cheesecakes: ensure the mixture is not over beaten. Bake cheesecake in the lower half of the oven; allow to cool in the oven for 1 hour with the door ajar before chillin in the refridgerator.
  • Baked cheesecakes prefer an oven without fan force so if possible turn off the fan force. If you cannot turn off the fan reduce the temperature by 20C for all recipes.
  • If cracks should appear on the surface of your baked cheesecake, do not despair. Simply top the cooled cheesecake with a mixture of 300ml sour cream, 2 tablesppons icing sugar and 2 teaspoon vanilla essence, bake for 10 minutes at 180C or until lightly set. Serve dusted with ground nutmeg.
  • Any variety of biscuit can be used from plain sweet biscuit, to coffee flavoured, coconut or chocolate biscuits.
  • Provide a moist baking environment for your cheesecake by placing a small bowl of hot tap water on the bottom of the oven. The steaming effect created helps prevent burning and the drying out of the cake crumbs.
  • Avoid over baking. A cheesecake is cooked when the edges are slightly puffed and the centre is slightly soft and custard like.


A big thank you to BraveChickens* for the lovely Love and Sugar badges and to Rubber Duck* for the Ferrero Rocher! You make me smile. 
Note: My friends are not farm animals. 

7 comments:

Elisa said...

YUMMY! Those look delicious!! Nothing beats cheesecake in my opinion. LoL
By any chance are you still interested in being pen pals? If you are please email me at
mcalpinee@gmail.com
God bless you sister!!

Honest Waffle said...

Hello.
I stumbled across your blog by mistake, a feast for the eyes!

I love baking, so will be experimenting with your recipes this weekend!

Anonymous said...

yay you are baking again!
I seriously love your blog! It makes me smile :-)

These look delicious! I may just have to catch up with you soon ;)

mwah xx

Anonymous said...

oh that came up as Anonymous...I put my name there but didn't come out...it is Selima :D

Amnah said...

Cuppawho? Actually I don't care. I just want to get home so I can make these. I totally trust they're worth it.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I'm glad you liked these! Thanks for trying the recipe. I think they still look fantastic even without the swirls on top :).

Rabiya said...

my husband is not a big fan of cheesecake, i will have to wait till i invite ppl over to bake these yummies. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Share the love.