Recent Posts

Monday, December 12, 2011

Bake Stall at Melbourne Madinah's Sisters Bazaar

I've been in a cupcake fever for the last two weeks.

It was cupcake this, cupcake that, cupcake cupcake cupcake!

I told the Man that I needed a break from baking...for a couple of days. he he.

After hours of baking and stressing about timing and everything else, my kitchen was a mess. Chocolate and icing on the bench. on chairs. on my clothes. on the floor. No joke.

Sigh...it's all for the love of cupcakes.



But it's all worth it.

Recently, I held a bake stall at Melbourne Madinah's sister's bazaar just for fun. Yes, for fun believe it or not.

I made six different flavours. Slurp. 








I was located in the food hall along with other mouthwatering sweets and hot foods.



Pastries included sausage roll, pies, samosas, lebanese bread (manaeesh) and hot dawgs.



This popcorn machine is very dangerous. It has triggered fire alarms and tempted so many, including myself.



Zeina's famous tiramisu. Tiramisu literally means 'pick me up'. You want to pick it up right now, don't you?



I was told this is a Turkish sweet drenched in syrup. No idea what it's called but they look like mini churros



And finally, the must-have-dessert at every event. Chocolate fountain, strawberries and marshmallows.






I didn't have time to take photos of the rest of the bazaar but you can view them here on Facebook. One of my favourite stalls would have to be Casablanca. Her perfumes are amazing, mashaAllah. If I had the money, I would buy almost all of her products. What's even more fantastic is that they are made with pure oil with not a single trace of alcohol. She sells both male and female scents, inspired by popular brands/perfumes in the market. Unfortunately, at the moment she does not have her own store to showcase her products, hence, she is often around markets/bazaars. Insha'Allah one day her products will be more accessible for us all. 




I couldn't believe that some people thought that I actually run my own cupcake business (wow!) and asked if I take orders. As much as I enjoyed having my own bake stall at Melbourne Madinah, I've decided that with the oven that I currently have at the moment, it wouldn't be such a good idea to start a business from home. Not only is it an old gas oven, it's also not very practical. I might consider getting a small commercial electric oven but for the time being, I'm happy doing small events like this. Maybe one day I will open my own cupcake bakery and cafe, but that's sometime in the future, insha'Allah.




For those who missed out, you can try making these cupcakes yourself. 


Carrot Cupcakes
Makes 18

1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
3 cups firmly packed, coarsely grated carrot
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan Forced. Line 18 holes of two 12-hole muffin pans with paper cases.

2. Beat oil, sugar and eggs in a small bowl with a whisk until combined and mixture has slightly thickened. Transfer mixture into a large bowl; stir in carrot, nuts (if using), then sifted dry ingredients. Do not use a mixer. A wooden spoon will suffice. The outcome will change dramatically.

3. Drop 1/4 cup of mixture into cases. Bake about 30 minutes. Stand cakes for 5 minutes before turning top-side up onto wire rack to cool.




Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
175g cream cheese, room temperature
175g butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons maple syrup
3 cups confectioners’ sugar

1. Sift sugar and set aside.
2. Beat cream cheese and butter on high until creamy.
3. Then, add the sugar in batches. Add maple syrup. Scrape down the sides in between each addition.
4. Frost away.






Banana Cupcakes
Adapted from Womens Weekly
Makes 16

125g softened butter
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup mashed overripe banana
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk


1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan Forced. Line 18 holes of two 12-hole muffin pans with paper cases.

2. Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.

3. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in sifted ingredients, banana, sour cream and milk in two batches.

3. Drop 1/4 cup of mixture into cases. Bake about 30 minutes. Stand cakes for 5 minutes before turning top-side up onto wire rack to cool.


Banana cupcakes straight out of the oven.



Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
175g cream cheese, room temperature
175g butter, room temperature
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups confectioners’ sugar

1. Sift sugar and set aside.
2. Beat cream cheese and butter on high until creamy.
3. Then, add the sugar in batches. Add rind and lemon juice. Scrape down the sides in between each addition.
4. Frost away.


Oreo Cupcakes (Actually it should be Triple Oreo Cupcake)
Chocolate Cupcake recipe

Before adding the batter into the cupcake liner, add one Oreo on the bottom.


Oreo Buttercream
made with vanilla buttercream with crushed oreos.




Look out for my next post where I'll share with you the Double Choc Cupcakes recipe, insha'Allah.



[Edit: A very big Thank You to Hania who generously spared her free time and helped me out on the day. I truly appreciate it!]

4 comments:

Nabeela said...

Wow Fairuz this is AMAZING. You and your sister should REALLY start a business, I'll be your loyal customer!

sippingchai said...

Masha'Allah, before I read the part of you not having your own business, I assumed you already had one! I will def. try these recipes out. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

muslimah93 said...

I can't get over what a talented baker you are, mashallah!! Not only would I love to eat the sweets you make, but I'd love to have you as my baking instructor! =P

Anonymous said...

hi, im from turkey..when i was surfing i saw that turkish sweet on ur page incidentally...and be sure that sweet is not the same churros...it is special sweet for us and too delicious:) i like it much mmmmm

Post a Comment

Share the love.