Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

HIYC Youth Night + Double Choc Cupcakes

Girls just like to have fun. 

Honestly, we do!

Which is why the 'Pearls of Emaan' Sisters Youth Committee on behalf of HIYC gave it their all to organise an annual event for us ladies - well, "young" ladies. 


This year's theme was Vintage Glam. 

And glamour it was. 




A huge applause to the sisters for their hard work.



The centrepiece and d├ęcor fit into the theme beautifully.



That chair. I like. 



The table setting looks like a wedding reception. Gorgeous.



The photo booth was the highlight of the night for many of us. 
I got my turn, twice. 
It was well worth the wait.
Definitely keeping the photos for memories.



The candy bar. 
Chocolate cupcakes by moi.



Strawberries for the chocolate fountain. 
I was too late.




Initially, I wasn't planning on attending the youth night as I was sitting the 'Heart Therapy' course by AlKauthar that weekend. The lecture was meant to conclude at 7.30pm and by the time it takes me to get here, I would have been very late. However, for some reason the lecturer let us off one hour earlier on both days which meant that I could still very well make it. Yee ha.

I didn't have time to go home so I turned up undressed. 
Even though I wasn't wearing the floral Vintage dress that I had in mind,
I still had a blast. 


It's amazing how things turn out even better than we expect when our own plans fall through.
Like my idea of putting chocolate butterflies on the cupcakes to coincide with the "Vintage" theme. 



The weather had a mind of its own. Within 10 minutes of putting a few of these babies on the cupcakes, it started melting and with just one touch the wing would fall off.

There goes my idea of butterfly cupcakes down the drain.



 They're sitting in my fridge for it's next purpose, a weather friendly event.



That's alright. Apparently, they look better without the butterflies anyway!


Double Choc Cupcakes 
Makes 25 cupcakes

2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups castor sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable/olive/corn oil
I cup hot coffee (made up of 1 tsp of Nescafe/instant coffee)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 170C and line
2. Sieve together flour, bicarb soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Repeat 3 times.
3. Then add milk, oil and hot coffee into the dry ingredients above.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat on low until combined.
5. Add eggs one at a time and and vanilla essence. Beat again on low for 1 minute.
6. Pour into cupcake liners about 2/3rds full.
7. Bake for 23 minutes or/until skewer comes out clean.
8. Leave to cool on wire rack.


Whipped Chocolate Ganache
Chocolate to cream ratio should be 50/50

300g Chocolate Melts
300ml thickened cream

1. Bring cream to the boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat. When bubbles subside, add chocolate; stir until smooth.
2. Leave to cool. To quicken the process, put it in the fridge for 30 minutes or until mixture is no longer runny.
3. Beat the cooled mixture in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

3 comments:

sippingchai said...

Masha'Allah, you're cupcakes look delish! Love the butterly idea...sorry it didn't work out.

That event looks amazing. We recently had a women's only masquerade ball in Dubai. :)

Blarra said...

Salams cupcakes look lovely, Did you just melt chocolate and pipe butterfly shapes?

Anonymous said...

mine didnt turn out as moist as yours! =(

Post a Comment

Share the love.